Leaking Flat with fire risk
Management of a flat with a leak and fire risk IN CHELSEA
Fry & Co were faced with a difficult problem in a large block of flats when leaks started to occur from a first floor flat into the main communal entrance area. The flat was owned and occupied by a person who had mental health problems and lived on their own. The property manager contacted the family of the individual and was able to arrange access to inspect. We not only discovered the source of the leaks, which was due to faulty plumbing and defective sealant around the shower, but the whole flat was stacked high with magazines and newspapers making it difficult to move around and representing a serious fire hazard. The electrics were in poor shape, lights bulbs not working throughout the flat and there was food left out resulting in a pest control issue.
Our property manager closely liaised with the family. Over a period of several months a plan was agreed to arrange for the owner to be rehoused for six weeks while workmen carried out a full refurbishment of the property, eliminating the source of the leaks, and dealing with the fire risk and the pest control issue.